Wednesday, April 25, 2012

compare

Today, Jon Allen (West Campus Pastor) sent out a message about a podcast he has listened to from Rick Warren about envy. And, how this envy can creep into our lives and consume our thoughts. There were many examples of what one could be envious of; the usual...home, car, job, athletic ability, etc. But, then it speak about pastors being envious of other pastors; their speaking ability, the size of the church they minister to, the successes of their ministry.

I would like to say this shocked me, that pastors act this way, but it didn't. You know that feeling you have when you see or hear someone who is dynamic in their speaking ability, and then you hear yourself speak? Or, when you watch the response a speaker gets from his message, and then you compare that to the response you get? I know too well this envy. A word I believe should go along with envy, and one I feel is the basis for this thought...is compare. Envy doesn't surface without us making a comparison. What I have been trying to learn over the past few years, is not to compare anything I have with what anyone else has, because if I do....envy. You did notice, I used he word "trying".

The podcast also had this quote in it..He has called me to be the best pastor I can possibly be given the gifts, talents, parents, experiences and opportunities God gave me. I didn’t choose any of those qualities. God gives you a set of gifts and judges you on how you use them. He won’t judge you on the gifts you don’t have. He’ll say, “What have you done with what I’ve given you?”

Man, have I heard that in my head a lot lately. I'm not saying I always listen to that advice, but I do hear it. This past weekend's message about depression was beneficial to me. Those moments in my life where I felt the most depressed, I believe, stemmed from this very thought of envy. There have always been better guitar players, better singers, better song writers, and better preachers; and, that trend may very well continue.

But, "What have I done with what God's given me?" That's where my mind and heart should be every day. I should be recognizing what God has gifted me with and make an intentional effort to use it to the fullest; not limiting myself by making a comparison with someone else and their ability. God gave them theirs and He gave me mine. He has called me to do the best with what I have been given. This podcast was a reminder to me of how much God has entrusted me with, but it is also a reminder of how He has gifted me for the task. I pray each day I use God's gift I've been given. Maybe all of us should consider the question, "What have you done with what I've given you?"

No comments: