Monday, December 21, 2009

spotlights

This past Saturday the Praise Team was rehearsing for our Christmas Service on Sunday at East Rowan High School. As we were going through a sound-check of the songs for the service, the spotlights for the stage came on. Talk about bright. Over the years, I have grown accustomed to them, and they don't seem to bother me that much. But, it is fun to listen to the response of others on the stage. The most common response being, "How can you see anything?" I know that people can feel that spotlights shining in their eyes can be distracting and make it hard to see people. And, at first, I probably felt the same way. But, I don't think that way any more.

The whole purpose of a spotlight is to make those of us on the stage easier to see. I know that sounds pretty obvious, but sometimes we need to be reminded that as worship leaders....we need to be seen as worship leaders. Spotlights have become a tool to help me focus more on worshipping and to remind me that I am being viewed as a worshipper. When that spotlight comes on, I have to ask myself.....am I a worshipper? Am I ready to lead? Am I ready for the responsibility of leading? Am I worshipping?

This is the Christmas season and worshipping God should be a top priority in our lives. It's all around us..... from stores to TV movies to sales papers..... Christmas is everywhere.... or is it? Have we become so distracted by the rushing around to get everything while it is on sale, or trying to fill every wakened hour cooking and preparing desserts for party after party, that we forget to focus on the true meaning of Christmas.....the birth of God's Son....our Savior?

Do we need to be reminded by a spotlight?

As believers in Jesus Christ....we are on a stage everyday. Is His spotlight making you a worshipper to everyone that sees you?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you Ronnie - I see things in a different "light"