Tuesday, March 31, 2009

a servant's heart

The other night I was reading a post from a classmate in Missouri. He had responded to a forum that I had posted on an assignment the day before, and was asking me about my goal to become more of a leader with a servant's heart. His question was pretty much...... how do you know if you have a servant's heart, and what does that look like? I thought that it was good question and it started me thinking; how do I know if I have a servant's heart? What would it look like to people that I come in contact with everyday?

I could tell stories of examples that I have seen in other people that I believe have a servant's heart, but that doesn't tell me if I have a servant's heart; and that doesn't answer my classmate's question. Still, I recall all the examples that I have seen. There has to be something common in all of them; something that I can learn and develop into my leadership goals. Hmmm; maybe there is something in the scriptures that could shed some light on this. Of course, the best example of a servant's heart was demonstrated by Jesus as he washed the feet of His disciples. And what made this so amazing at the time........it wasn't expected by His disciples. This was not what they would ever think their Master should do; totally unexpected. That's it!!

How do you know if you have a servant's heart? When you take the opportunity to do something for someone, it doesn't matter what it is, and they weren't expecting you to do it; that is having a servant's heart. It is not hard. It may be demanding, and it may be dirty; but it is something that you feel lead to do......and that leading comes from within the heart......a servant's heart.

No comments: